Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Master Plan?

The last thing I want to do is be pessimistic, but I cannot help wondering if there's any point to making plans.  I had some damn fine plans for this summer.  I wasn't going to sit around on my duff, pining and whining over CG like I did last year.  I was going to go to local museums, some art shows, a couple of botanical gardens, the Manawa Rodeo, picnics, concerts, my friend's farm (which is an hour from the Twin Cities), etc., and I haven't been able to do one darn thing, either because of car troubles or hellish heat.  It's already August 2nd and I'm going stir-crazy.  A couple of days ago I realized that I get out more in the winter than I do in summer.  Unless it cools off pretty soon, I'm probably going to be hibernating in a dim, air-conditioned room for at least another month.  The one thing I'm looking forward to is the Garrison Keillor (of A Prairie Home Companion, Lake Wobegon fame) show at the Fox Cities P.A.C. on Sept. 20th.  Tickets go on sale Friday morning at 10 a.m.  I'm so hoping I'll be able to score a seat.  He said in a recent interview that, due to a stroke, he's going to be retiring in a year or two so this is probably going to be my only chance to see him live.  

What does everyone think?  Is there any real point to making plans?  I've gotten to where I'm reluctant to make any and afraid to look forward to anything because of disappointment or fear of something bad happening.  I realize that by doing this I'm borrowing trouble.  And isn't it Matthew who says not to worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself?  

By the way, it's just after 1:00 a.m. here and it's still 80F.  I sat outside a few hours ago chatting on the phone with an out-of-town friend and I could've sworn I was in a sauna.  Got eaten alive by mosquitos, too.  Fall cannot come fast enough...

Nota Bene:  Happy Birthday to my big brother!  Have a great day!!!

1 comment:

Just me said...

I think it's worth making plans but it's important to remember that they won't always follow through as you expected, as you've seen. Sometimes it'll be for the worse, but sometimes that'll be for the better.

Have plans, but don't rely 100% on them. Have back-up plans or alternatives. If your plans fall through, make new ones or do something spontaneous :)