Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crap.

The car behaved itself nicely for 24 hours before the Service Engine Soon light came back on.  I think it might have something to do with air being trapped in one of the power steering lines.  When I go around a curve to the right and turn the steering wheel, I hear a strange low humming sound.


I spent Friday night in the ER with a family friend.  Just before 5:00 p.m. I got a call from B saying, "You've got to take me to the emergency room.  I'm having severe stomach pain".  I sat there til after 9 p.m. as they did tests, x-rays, a CAT-Scan, palpated the area (when the doctor tapped on his stomach, it sounded just like he was thumping a watermelon).  As I sat there in Admitting, I noticed several goofy things.  For instance, when you walk in to the ER, doubled over in pain, or limping or bleeding, the first thing they do is hand you crazy paperwork giving them permission to treat you.  I understand why they do it, but it seems to me that if you have sporting equipment protruding from your head (or other sensitive orifice), the forms should come later.  Who is going to walk into a hospital, ashen and bleeding profusely, and refuse help?


Second anomaly: The free coffee.  It's plentiful.  And it is HOT.  Mt. Pinatubo-blowing-magma-25-miles-into-the-atmosphere hot.  The cups are thin and kinda flimsy and there are no thermal sleeves to slip around their molten circumference.  The one comforting thing is that the coffee station is mere steps away from Triage Room #3.  Nota bene:  There is powdered coffee creamer at the coffee station.  I've read several articles saying that powdered creamer is actually FLAMMABLE.  Good thing Triage Rooms # 1 and 2 are just around the corner.


From what I overheard, the ER was quiet for a Friday night.  Could've fooled me.  A number of limpers came in - several people with blown-out knees and a kid with a broken leg.  Then there was that 2-yr. old who had a slight concussion from driving his mini car carelessly and flipping it.  Around 6:30 p.m. a couple brought in their 4-month old, who had a high fever.  An hour later, a man came in having complications from bowel obstruction surgery.  I learned more than I thought possible about bowel obstruction surgery, especially the consequent pain,vomiting and diarrhea.  Now, pain, vomiting and diarrhea don't faze me one bit.  That's a typical Christmas in my family.  What made me queasy was the sight of the growths on that poor man's face.  Finally, around 8 p.m., I saw my first bleeder.  A man had been playing with his 4-yr. old son.  The kid seized a toy and flung it indiscriminately, accidentally striking his progenitor in the face.  The poor man had quite the nasty gash in his eyebrow that needed stitches. 


Around 21:00, B was finally admitted and wheeled up to a room.  The problem?  Possible bowel obstruction.  No clue how he got it.  All I know is that his poor gut was terribly distended.  He looked like he was in his 3rd trimester.  I kept wanting to ask him if he'd picked out any names for the baby.


I'm going to go up and visit him in a little while.  With any luck the tube they snaked down his nose will be out and he'll be able to talk.  I also hope I run into his doctor.  That guy was HOT.  Married, unfortunately.  Well, he's neither the only hot male at the hospital nor the only delectable fish in the sea...


...And speaking of delectable fish in the sea, I have a dishy new neighbor, named Josh.  He could eat crackers in my bed anytime he wanted to and not one word of complaint would you hear from my lips.  


This means I'm probably going to have to wear makeup when I leave the house, now.

No comments: