Saturday, May 5, 2012

Give Until It Hurts, Part Deux, Plus, A Strange And Wonderful Adventure...

Well, I got a good 24 hours out of my baby before a new, alarming, clunking sound started up.  I don't know if a rock got stuck underneath or if something is loose or if it's because the tires need to be re-torqued very soon.  Either way, I don't like it.  Looks like my baby has grown up to be a problem child.  Little brat.


I had something interesting and a bit startling happen to me yesterday afternoon.  I was walking by the lake, as is my wont, and on my 3rd lap, I got hit on like crazy.  Generally, the people who walk and bike there are quite friendly, particularly those with dogs.  In the month that I have frequented this place, I have regularly seen the same man go through on his bike.  Up until yesterday we always smiled at each other, said hello and went our separate ways.  Yesterday, he passed me.  We greeted each other and he went on ahead.  Presently, I caught up and noticed that he seemed to be lingering under a pavilion on the side of the trail.  Initially, I thought it a bit unusual for him, but I dismissed it and let my mind wander.  A few seconds later, I heard him call to me, "Did anyone ever tell you that's a nice shirt?"  I found this quite odd but thanked him politely and kept going.  Next thing I knew, he was next to me, striking up a conversation.  He wanted to know if I was from this area, what I do in my spare time and then, without any more of a preamble, he requested my phone number.  This does not happen to me every day.  In fact (and I'm kind of ashamed to admit it), this has never happened to me. Ever.  After the initial stages of shock wore off, I realized that I was being hit on like I've never been hit on before.  I was gobsmacked.  I was a bit wary.  I was intensely flattered.  The guy was cute.  His chin pubes were way out of control (the lower part of his face resembled a buffalo in need of a bikini wax), but he was definitely easy on the eyes.  Nice smile.  Gorgeous, crystal-blue eyes.  


I don't think I handled the situation very well.  I panicked and told him I was in an on-again-off-again relationship with someone and that it was complicated.  As thrilling as this was, I was wary and a bit uneasy.  I couldn't decide whether he was being sincere or up to no good.  And he was very persistent.  He asked my name and I asked his.  He told me it was Thad.  Then, he asked for a hug.  This, I did NOT like.  There wasn't another soul on that trail.  We were surrounded by trees and water.  The only escape, had I needed one, was into the lake.  And, call me old-fashioned, but I found Thad's request for a hug to be very forward.  I refused point blank, as gently but as firmly as I could.  He persisted.  I told him I don't hug men I don't know.  Then, I told him that he wouldn't want a hug, anyway, as I was rather sweaty and gross.  He said he didn't mind.  Then, I told him I suspected I was too old for him.  Turns out, he's 30.  And age doesn't matter to him.  He requested a handshake and I granted it.  Asked for my number again and I refused.  Wanted to know when he'd see me again if he didn't have my number and I said maybe we'd see each other on the trail again.  Thad wanted to hang out.  Meet for coffee.  Be friends.  He didn't want to take no for an answer and I was getting a bit too nervous to give him his way.  Finally, he and I parted amicably.  He was disappointed but was nice about it, and I continued my walk.  


Was I right to be wary or did I act like a horse's ass?  I hate to admit it, but I don't have a ton of experience with extremely determined men.  This was terribly flattering.  My first thought was, "Holy cow, the T-Tapp is working!"  And I was so proud that I actually attracted a man.  A cute man.  Who really seemed interested in me.  It was a relief to know that I do have some sort of womanly appeal.  Besides, when you're chunky, you feel less than appealing and you get overlooked.  A lot.  Since age 13, I've listened to a particular friend brag about how this guy wants her and that guy is chasing her and that guy way over there thinks she's hot and implications that I don't compare to her.  I'm grown weary of her self-congratulatory bullshit, so Thad's attention was a nice boost for my morale.  I was sorely tempted to get on the phone, tell her about him and rub her nose in it for a change.  I didn't.  I'm treating this encounter like a treasure that only I know about.  A good-looking, sexy man wanted me.  Not her.  ME.  As imperfect as I am, cellulite and a spare tire and all, he saw something he liked.  He pursued me.  I may not have handled it as smoothly as I'd have liked, but he really wanted me.  Damn it, that felt good.  


I don't think I will tell her.  This is a delicious little secret all for me, and I can hug it to myself when my friend starts her spieling. 


More musings on this topic at a later date...



No comments: