Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Steady As She Goes...

Nothing raises flagging spirits like being able to fit into things that, two weeks previously, were 80 or 90 sizes too small.


Case in point: My beloved local amateur hockey team posted some photos from the final game of the season to its Facebook page.  There I am in one of them, suctioned-cupped to the glass (comme d'habitude), having a spazz attack.  I'm not sure if a goal was scored or if it was during the fisticuffs that broke out in the closing moments of the game.  Either way, I was going apeshit.  I look horrible.  In the photo I'm 2 sizes larger than I am now.  My face looks bloated.  I look like I have chipmunk teeth in a stupid chipmunk smile.  My hair is a disaster, my face pasty.  This is not an exaggeration.  I have never photographed well.  The last time I looked good in a picture was when I got my drivers license renewed in November 2000 (which is a miracle, because almost everyone looks like a psychopath in their license photos).  When I saw the picture, the first thing that went through my head was, "Oh shit, I'm so ugly!" 


My first instinct was to quit T-Tapp and walking.  I mean, why bother trying to improve my body if I have a face like a bus crash.  And, I'll admit it.  I damn near headed to the kitchen to binge on ice cream and pasta.  Instead, I did dishes.  After while, I began trying things on.


I tried on an old trench coat of my mother's.  I didn't expect it to fit.  She's a size or so smaller than I am.  Not only that, but she's petite.  I'm a strapping 5'8".  I tried that trench anyway.  It fits almost perfectly in the body.  Only one button is a tiny bit strained, plus the sleeves are a mite too short.  Other than that, it's an excellent fit.  I nearly died of shock.


My too-tight black trousers are still too small but I think a lot of the problem is in the cut.  But, they've gotten a bit better.


One blessing in not being a knockout beauty:  Beautiful people don't always age well.  They hit their 50s and begin to resemble rotting fruit.  God willing, if I truly am that awful-looking, I'll mellow with age.  Or I'll end up fascinating and witty.


Fingers crossed...

No comments: