Saturday, June 25, 2011

A little bit of venting. Just a little..

You know, I think life was a little less frustrating when our technology consisted of the typewriter and a set of encyclopedias.  My pc was running slow and I've been doing a lot of surfing lately, plus I downloaded the newest version of Firefox earlier in the week and it was being a pain, so I decided to clean up the system and run my anti-malware program.  All was well until I tried to get back online to order Chinese delivered.  Instead of the Yahoo homepage, I was greeted with the news that the Proxy thingy was messed up.  I am NOT tech savvy, so my inner Linda Blair came out to play.  After levitating for a while I texted my poor brother, on the first stage of his vacation (he's in Little Rock, Arkansas tonight), to help me.  He told me to unplug the modem for a bit.  No dice.  Finally, he told me to go through the system restore thing and though it took for-freakin'-ever, I am back online.  I started to levitate again when I attempted to order Chinese online only to be told that my favorite place was closed.  Very grouchy but undaunted, I called the restaurant and they said that there was plenty of time for a delivery.  So, that's a plus, and my head no longer spinning.  I just wish I didn't get bent out of shape so easily.  My grandpa was the most patient man on the planet and my mom's sister is almost as patient as he was.  I wish that trait hadn't skipped me.  I'm ashamed to say that I am atrociously impatient.  I'm much better with children and animals than I am with adults and cars/computers.  I've got to either learn patience or learn to conceal my frustration and irritation, so as to not drive others crazy and to keep my blood pressure low.

I'm pleased to say that I'm off the soda again and that I have not only finished The Count of Monte Cristo but that I'm almost done with Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow morning and once that's done I shall move on to The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  I'm finding that, little by little, because of the BBC and Guardian book lists, I'm learning how to set goals and reach them.  I'm not yet the goal-setter/achiever/mover-and-shaker that I want to be but small steps are o.k.  I'm better than I was a week ago.  Every little bit counts.  I'm also finding that a good part of goal setting/achievement is making up your mind to do something.  I cannot get over how powerful decisions are and how one seemingly little decision can change a person's entire mindset.  Case in point:  My killer craving for lovely Chinese food.  I was bound and determined to have it and now it's on its way.  I wonder if this making a decision stuff would work with the lottery?

3 comments:

Just me said...

You levitated?

Lily said...

No and I hope I never do. That's just my way of saying I was extremely angry or frustrated :-) Speaking of levitation, if you want to see a hilarious commercial, go on You Tube and look up Dirt Devil Exorcist. It's a vacuum commercial and not at all what you'd expect. It's very funny.

Just me said...

Oh okay, I hadn't heard that before! And ha, that advert is pretty funny!